While it is true that every house has its problems, some have more serious than others. A home with a more serious problem like cracking foundation, a damaged roof, and broken siding can cause headaches and potentially be symptoms of larger, more serious issues. Follow these 5 signs to determine if your home needs a professional lookover.
1. The first sign of a cracked foundation is cracking in the intersections of the walls, floor, and ceilings. Brick is more likely to show cracks than other materials, so you may see large cracks between bricks. This is a sign of the house dramatically moving.
2. Another sign of a damaged foundation is sloping floors. A simple way to test for this is to place a ball on the floor in the center of the room. If the ball rolls at all, then the floor is sloped downward in that direction. The faster the ball rolls, the more exaggerated the slope is.
3. Doors or windows that do not move properly are also an obvious sign of a damaged foundation. As the house moves, the frames will no longer fit the window or the door. They may stick as you try to open or close them. In very serious cases, you will not be able to move them at all.
4. There are many signs of a damaged roof. You may see something as obvious as a leak in your attic. Other signs include holes in the roof, mold growing on the roof, and other obvious damage. The best way to understand the condition of the roof is to have an inspection done by a professional.
5. Siding that is cracked or broken. Siding protects the home from the elements and other serious damage. If the siding is compromised, the entire house is compromised. Look for any cracks or any mold growth on the siding. If you find any cracks or mold, you may want to have inspector look at your siding.